The ugliest coffee table in the world...



 Isn't this the ugliest coffee table you've ever seen? Forest green just isn't my thing....
The Hubby and I were on our usual Tuesday night trip to our favorite store. For some reason, I always seem to strike gold on Tuesdays. We walked in, skipped over the aisles of ugly trinkets and smelly clothing and went straight to the furniture section. Our favorite section. I immediately saw this amazing coffee table and as if I were a kid at a birthday party, went lunging towards it like it were candy falling out of a piñata. I stood there guarding it as my husband, catching up, came walking towards me. He looked down at the table, looked up at me with a puzzled and confused look, and down at the table again. I was practically squeeling with excitement.  Him: not so much.

"I am totally getting this"... I said.
"Really, Laura?".....he said in the most unimpressed tone he could muster. (He clearly thought I was joking around at this point)
"This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for" (he hears that a lot)
"Well if you have a vision for it...."
"OH YOU KNOW I DO!" 

Without another word, we grabbed it and got in line. At this point, I'm sure he still thought I was completely nuts.

It sat in the garage for a few days until I had a chance this past weekend to get started on it....
It's not completely done yet, but I am so excited and happy about how it looks so far, I just couldn't wait to show it off!
After 1 coat of primer.... already a HUGE difference.
 And 1 coat of paint... mmm.... aqua :)
 Sanding the tabletop...
 And dark walnut stain. (My heart is racing with joy at this point in the transformation)


As it was drying:
I LOVE the variation of dark & light. It reminds me of our brazilian walnut floors.

And TaaaaaDaaaaaa! 
As it was drying, my need for instant gratification took over and I begged my hubby to help me move it and put it on top of the legs. I am already in love. He's pretty smitten too! He was so impressed with how cool the stained tabletop looked. What a difference a little work can make! But it's really not even close to done....

Left on the coffee table to-do list:
1. Another coat of paint
2. Lots of time to dry and cure
3. Another coat of dark walnut stain (or maybe chestnut, to add some reddish tones)
4. Heavy distressing and antiquing on the legs and apron
5. A beautiful dark walnut custom glaze to seep into the carved crevices of the legs
6. A couple coats of poly to the entire thing

Stay tuned! When this baby is complete there will definitely be a full DIY tutorial. And a *small* chance that this will be up for sale... but I'm guessing that this one is going straight to the family room where my husband, golden retriever and I can enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment