Custom orders :)

I just LOVE doing custom work for friends, family and clients. There is something that is {as cheesy as it sounds} truly magical about it. Of course, of course I could design and finish pieces on my own until the cows come home {and sometimes I do}... but there's never any guarantee that anyone will like what I happen to come up with, let alone, purchase it. Custom orders, on the other hand, are so much fun!



There's such an excitement about it. I get the pleasure of creating something that my client will truly love forever. Finished exactly to their taste and specifications.

I have recently had the pleasure of being contracted for a 4-piece order for a client who is redoing her living room. I've been working with her on the design of the room for a little over 2 months now... so when she came to me and asked me to do 4 pieces for her, I was elated!

She shopped my stock of available unfinished finds and picked out 4 amazing pieces. After working with her on her living room, I had a pretty good idea of her style + taste... so when we came up with the design for these furniture pieces, the excitement in her voice was priceless.

A while back, she saw the post for the ugliest coffee table in the world and LOVED the finished product. I knew right away that she would be head-over-heels for a similar design with these two end tables.

Before - Pretty ugly, huh?


I painted the legs and aprons a soft chalky white and let them cure for a couple days. As for the tabletops, I busted out the sander and some coarse 50 grit sand paper and went to town. I sanded...and sanded...and sanded. {If you attempt this at home... I promise you that you will not die. But your back will be sore for days and your arm will feel like it's going to fall off!} Once I got the surface down to the bare, unfinished wood, I cleaned them up with a vacuum and some tack cloth. I stained the tops a gorgeous custom color that I got by mixing some dark walnut with dark chestnut stain. This is where your sanding really pays off. Look at that closeup! It just soaked up the stain and I got the color I wanted in no time.


I LOVE the wood grain... it looks so rustic and reclaimed.

 After some distressing and a few coats of glaze to really penetrate those amazing carved legs, this is how it looked!



She needed a console table for her entry and loved all of the vintage pieces that I had in stock. Whenever I get vintage-loving-clients, I get so excited because they normally LOVE the really unique repurposed pieces like this antique sewing table.


She chose it for it's amazing legs and awesome silhouette. I finished this in distressed turquoise to add a wonderful pop of color. The original piece didn't have any hardware, so I found some awesome vintage knobs at an antique store and painted them oil-rubbed-bronze. I had the hubby drill some holes right in the middle of the doors. I love the look!

Last, but not least, this mirror had amazing bones, but was definitely lacking.
 We decided on lacquered white with some light distressing. I just love how it turned out!




So now... I'm sure you want to see these pieces in the client's house, right?
I took this with my new Iphone 5. You gotta love the 360 view!


If you're interested in placing a custom order, just shoot me an email and we can discuss the details! Can't wait to work with you! :)

That's all for now.....
L

No comments:

Post a Comment